Thursday, May 10, 2012

Where I want to be right now...


            

                             Where I want to be right now…                       
                        
It’s a week before spring and the ice has already melted, the trees started to blossom, the fresh cut grass perfumes fills the sleeping air, and the birds coming out to sing every morning.  It’s getting near the time where people bury away their coats and pulling out their flip-flops.  After a few months of complete silence you can sense nature deliberately trying to awaken.
I am sitting inside a cold classroom trying to think about a place I would rather be than here. Many places invade my thoughts but only one stands out the most.  I can overhear my fellow classmates talking amongst themselves. They talk about going camping beside the lake on their spring break. I can there picture them  going along with their beloved families, appreciating the outdoors while they fish for rainbow trout, and roasting gooey marshmallows on an open bonfire.  I, on the other hand, won’t do any of that. After leaving this cold room I will be headed straight to work.  I am pretty sure that’s how it’s going to be all week long, but in reality that’s how I rather things to be.  I have no family and no close friends to spend my spring break with. So, why not spend it working?  Besides the fact that I need the money, I rather do something productive and occupy my mind with a lot of work than spend it alone.
Even though I will have plenty to do for the next week or so, I can’t resist myself imagining suddenly waking up and encountering myself at home.  I was born and raised in Puerto Rico, where it’s mostly hot all year round.  It’s an island where birds never stop singing and where the grass and flowers never stops growing. I have to say that I’m in love with its breathtaking flamboyant scenery.
 Staring at the computer screen, flashbacks of my family and I going to the beach on a lovely sunny day, took over my mind.  Huge umbrella stands in the middle of the golden hot sand protected us from the mighty sun.  The tall palm trees that disappear into the clear blue sky would also protect us from the blazing heat.  A mound of different sea shells were scattered all around the sand, some consists of crossing spiral lines and radiating sharp ridges and others were smooth and round.  Hermit crabs usually are hard to spot, but if I paid close attention, I can see them dancing across the beach.
  I see my brothers setting up the barbeque and my sisters getting ready to dive into the turquoise water.  From a distance, it seemed that sailboats floated on the edge of the earth.  Reckless teenagers raced Jet Skis across the ocean’s surface and I could hear its motor roar from a striking distance.  My nephews, Giram and George, two young boys of four and five years of age, both made sandcastles at the beach’s shore.  My dad and I lodged a two seat kayak and went off to the open ocean and began kayaking.  As we paddled into deeper sea, the palm trees started to mix in with the umbrella stands and it all started to look the same.  I felt the kayak shiver as the gentle ripple of the sea pushed us into profounder waters.  The cool breeze brushed my hair from side to side and small drops of water sprinkled on my face as I stroked my paddle.  A bitter tanginess ticked the back of my throat as trickles of sea water bounced into my mouth.  I will never forget the ocean’s fresh breeze and my curiosity for its unique vast mystery.  
                The aromas of the sweet honey barbeque chicken brought my father and I back to shore and it attracted even the most curious creatures from the bottom of the sea.  We all gathered to eat some scrumptious juicy beef and honey barbecue chicken burgers and cheesy curly fries.  An enormous fresh coconut was pilled and cut for each one of us to drink.
                 The perfect ending to this day was far more than a typical day at the beach. My brothers, sisters, and I scattered around the oceanfront to soak our feet and tell jokes.  My father on the other hand, wanted to enjoy more of the ocean’s wonders.  He went off to a deeper part of the sea border.  Less than five minutes passed and we heard whining and crying from a far.  Chills went down my naked spine and the thoughts of horror invaded my troubled brain. We immediately rushed and dived into the water to reach our father.  Also some fishermen came to help us.  To our surprise our dad was only stung by a small jellyfish.  I am sure that like my brothers, I felt a huge weight of a thousand pounds lifted off my longs and I suddenly began to calmly breathe again. Even though my father’s ace was heartbreaking, we just couldn’t help but feel relieved it wasn’t a shark or anything like it.  The skin of his leg started to get redder and redder by the minute.  Small bumps began to appear and the unbearable itchiness and stinging followed up seconds later.  I tried to sooth him by telling him everything was going to be okay.
                 In Puerto Rico when a jelly fish stings you, the best method to alleviate the symptoms and maybe take the pain away is for someone to urinate on the wound.  Both of my nephews without thinking it twice, they pulled down there pants and started urinating on my father’s leg.  We couldn’t help but to burst into laughter.  Our eyes watered and we could barely stand from laughing so hard.  Even my father, couldn’t help but to crack up laughing.
                Our day ended with a sidesplitting laugh and an unforgettable family moment.  If only I could go back in time and relive those amusing priceless moments. I guess only in my memories those moments will remain, and the new ones are always welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment